Tuesday 19 June 2012

When I Grow Up...

I don't remember ever wanting to be anything when I grew up. There are times that I recall wanting to be a police psychologist or an animal lab technician, but I don't ever remember having a "dream" of what I wanted to be when I grew up.


Recently I was asked "if I could do any job in the world, what would it be?" What a hard question to answer. My current job is really the only job I have had (aside from part-time school jobs). I have been with the same company for almost 21 years. I don't KNOW anything different than this job.


So, being the "me" that only I can be, I did some research. I "polled" some friends to see what job they could see me doing and what job would make me happiest. The answers I received were very interesting. No two answers were the same; however, each answer had 1 commonality - "nailing" my personality! They all knew that whatever job I did I would not be happy if I were not analyzing, challenged and trying to solve the 'unsolvable' problem.


Interesting how others know me sometimes better than I know myself. My answer to the original question was - "a medical researcher" or "a forensic scientist". But the job that I think would make me happiest would be a photojournalist or to own a used book shop/coffee house.


I have reached a point in my journey where I am questioning everything in my life. One of those things is my job. Is it the "right fit" for me? I am starting to see that so much of my life I did things because I was "supposed to" not because I "chose to". So often I put other's wishes and desires before my own. Now that I have the opportunity to focus on what I WANT TO DO, I really have no idea what that is. I have spent my entire life knowing only what I know - how can anyone know what they don't know.


With personal interests it is relatively easy to find something you like. Many places allow you to try one or two classes for 'free' to see if you are interested. Unfortunately jobs are not like that. Once you leave your job there is no turning back. You need to be sure that the 'new job' is what you want.


I find the entire concept foreign and overwhelming. My last job interview was almost 21 years ago. So I will do what I do best - research, analyze and determine what I want to do. I choose...to live by CHOICE, not by CHANCE.


Peace 

1 comment:

  1. Doing a job you enjoy most days is important but remember to work to live. Those that live to work have lost their balance. A job that affords balance most of the time is a job that fits. Perhaps you shouldn't trust the advice of one who still doesn't know what they want to do when they grow up, or maybe it's just that I refuse to grow up ;o)

    ReplyDelete