Monday 22 October 2012

Chess Anyone?

Not everyone is lucky enough to do something day in and day out that they are passionate about. Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule, we call these people "the lucky ones".

That is the great thing about personal interests. If you find something that you are passionate about and have the ability/ finances/ time to pursue it - life is grand! Something I have recently become passionate about and have written about in the past is martial arts.

Some may question my passion, but I can tell you for certain that I NEVER get up at 7:00 on a Saturday for ANYTHING EXCEPT karate - not even a photo shoot will get my butt out of bed that early. Sure I look like something the cat dragged in when I show up to class, but I go and I always enjoy it.

Last month - to compliment my karate - I took up Brazilian jiu-jitsu. My sensei encouraged me, but also cautioned me that jiu-jitsu does not progress as steadily as karate. This was not an issue for me - as I am not concerned with the 'goal' in karate - but rather enjoying the journey.
After a couple of classes I quickly understood why I liked jiu-jistu so much. It is a never ending game of human chess. Each move is extremely technical, precise, and accurate. It's like solving a BIG UNSOLVABLE puzzle! Perfect for my personality type - lots of learning and the learning NEVER ends! But my enthusiasm causes me to digress.

For me jiu-jitsu is much like life. A never ending struggle to survive. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but really, if you stop trying, you lose! In jiu-jitsu it has nothing to do with your size or strength - it all has to do with your ability to continue to move, or out maneuver the other person.

On my travels I have met many people, read many books and done much introspection. The end result has been many coping skills. These skills have helped me maneuver around many obstacles in my life. Is everyone born with these skills? No, but like jiu-jitsu everyone can learn them if they take the time.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment