Monday 21 October 2013

Wouldn't It Be Good

Not even a week into my personal challenge and I have been inundated with nay sayers. Several people have taken the time to advise me that my endeavours are not practical and cannot be maintained. My choices are my choices. No one needs to agree with my choices or understand my decisions.

I'm tired of being a slave to my phone, computer and tablet. I'm tired of checking incessantly to see if I have received any texts, emails or updates from anyone. It's an addiction I am determined to break! And let's be honest - I have nothing to lose by trying. My current behaviours are only doing me harm.

You have no idea how pleasant it has been to not have to "pay attention" always 1/2 listening for that "ding" of a text message. Out of politeness when you hear that "ding" you try to stay focused on the conversation you are having but your mind wanders to the unknown text message waiting - eating away at the back of your mind. Finally you cave, excuse yourself from the conversation, eagerly grabbing your phone to see who texted you and why. As you read the text disappointment sets in as all it says is "hi".


I don't miss these feelings and behaviours one bit! I am enjoying the lack of distraction I feel from electronic communications. While I still have work to do my constant obsession to check for messages, emails or missed calls has diminished greatly. This has allowed me to focus, and yes, ENJOY other tasks.

My time is the only thing of value that I have. I am choosing to use my time in more meaningful ways. Instead of texting, emailing or FaceBooking birthday wishes to a friend I decided to call and verbally express my birthday wishes. Why? Because this person means so much to me that I CHOSE to make the time to call.

While my current experiment may not be practical as a lifestyle it is currently bringing me a great deal of peace and happiness. My choices are my choices and I am the only person that needs to walk this path and see where it leads.

"It's getting harder just keeping life and soul together. I'm sick of fighting even though I know I should." ~ Nik Kershaw

Peace

1 comment: