Monday 28 October 2013

Breaking the Habit

It would seem that modifying my bad behaviours was a lot easier than I had imagined it would be. The emails and social media were very simple - delete the apps - but texting was a bit more difficult to deal with.

You see you cannot delete the Messages app. But as you know I am beyond stubborn and found a way to turn off all notifications and sounds associated with a text message. Last but not least I 'hid' the app. Then the fun began! The first few days I would 'go fish' for the app and check 4-5 times a day to see if I had received any text messages. As the week progressed I was down to checking only once a day.

Then the most wonderful thing started to happen. I started 'loosing' my phone. One day I left it at work, another in the car. One time I had to borrow the kid's phone to call my phone - silly me - I misplaced it in my gym bag. I'm not one for loosing or forgetting things so this behaviour is new for me - and I am really enjoying it!



I have thought about just leaving my phone in my purse, but I do listen to my music a lot. I have only given up electronic communication, not all electronics. For some reason people have a hard time understanding that. The other day Child #2 yelled at me for watching TV.

My successfulness in breaking this habit was made a lot easier by 'announcing' through social media that I would be going off all forms of electronic communication. As such, most people stopped contacting me electronically or all together. So does this help me with my problem? Or does it just make it worse? I really don't know. 

What I do know I really don't miss being addicted to my phone. I don't miss the feelings of "obsession". I don't miss falsely believing that everyone else has a great life but me. I don't miss the feelings of disappointment when I check my phone only to see that no one has contacted me. 

I know it is still early in my experiment but I have already had a couple of very positive changes in my personal life as a result of my decision. Regardless of how long this experiment continues, and the inconvenience I have caused others, it has already been well worth my efforts.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment