Monday 14 October 2013

By the Way

Samhain is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter. Samhain was observed in Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man. According to studies done by Scottish social anthropologist Sir James Frazer, Samhain was referred to as the Celtic New Year and on the eve of October 31st bonfires (samhnagans) could be seen all along Scotland's highland line.

So why my interest in Gaelic history? Well the premise of Samhain was to release what does not serve us anymore and to be reborn in a new life. This is exactly where I am right now. For a couple of months now I have been assessing everything in my life. Soul searching if you will.

Several people have told me that I try too hard. Why do I do this? Well I don't ever want anyone to say "would it have hurt you to try?" But I am done trying. I'm tired of initiating, I'm tired of planning, I'm tired or organizing, I'm tired of having to reach out, I'm tired of asking.

There are many things in my life that no longer serve a positive purpose - people, activities and things. In the spirit of Samhain I am choosing to remove these negative influences from my life - the biggest culprit being technology.

I'm tired of being a prisoner of technology - specifically electronic communication. I need to interact with flesh and blood people, face to face. I don't like the false sense of security/ connectedness this type of communication gives. None of it is real - it is simply "perceived".

I am clearing the mist and haze of deception that surrounds my life and I am stepping into the sunlight. I am leaving all technology in my personal life behind. I will no longer be accepting emails, text messages, or reading people's posts on FaceBook. Today I release myself from what no longer serves my wellbeing.

My decision may seem drastic to some; however, there is an underlying reason that has lead me to this place. I feel like too many expectations have been placed on me. I am tired of delivering when I receive nothing in return. I am feeling like my relationships are a 1-way street and it's time to turn around and drive the wrong way for a while.

Peace  

No comments:

Post a Comment