Tuesday 18 October 2011

Only the Lonely

I came across this quote the other day ~"To those who have given up on love I say, trust life a little bit." ~ Maya Angelour

This quote got me thinking. Once again here I am admitting I was wrong. Well maybe not so much 'wrong' as misinformed? Here's the thing. I know a few single people. I never judged them, but I did sort of assume that they had made a conscious decision to remain single.

I have begun to rethink my assumption. I have only been single a year and 1/2 and I am just about convinced that I would be better off remaining single. I know that life certainly would be less complicated and without all the 'drama' if I were to remain single.

Who would have thought that dating would be so difficult, time consuming and emotionally draining? So many people are all about the "chemistry", or feeling a "connection" and others fall "head over heels" after the first coffee. Can you really get to know someone after chatting over coffee for 2 hours? Absolutely not!
In all honesty I doubt that you can ever know everything about someone, but that's another story...back to the whole dating thing. I believe that I am getting better at managing my expectations. Managing my expectations means taking things for what they are - a good conversation over coffee.

Here's where I struggle - how can anyone get to know someone else in a few hours? This makes no sense to me. You need to continue to talk and meet on a regular basis in order to determine if there is any "potential" there. I don't see how this can be accomplished in 1 or 2 coffee dates, but that's all anyone seems to be willing to commit to.

I have been fortunate enough to meet some really nice people, some of whom I would like to get to know better, but things always seem to fade away - time passes and I never hear from them again. There are those who tell me that you must work hard for anything worth having. Others tell me that I will know I have found the 'right one' because it will be effortless. So for now I will continue meeting new friends for coffee.

Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment