Tuesday 8 November 2011

Money Make$ the World Go Round

Over the 24 years that I was in a relationship I was led to believe that I did not have the ability to handle money properly. Yes, when I was married we constantly lived pay cheque to pay cheque - mountains of debit quickly accumulated and we would scramble to find more ways to 'borrow' money to pay off the debts.

When I first bought my own house the money problems continued so one day I created a budget. After 2 months of 'watching where the money went' on the budget I had money in the bank and no outstanding credit card debts. I continue to practice this philosophy. Some months are better than others but the 'fear' of drowning in a mountain of debt keeps me focused.

Why am I sharing my finances with you? Well, I guess I am always amazed when I realize how often we believe what we are told. For 24 years I was told that I did not know how to handle money, that I was always spending too much despite the fact that I had several times created a budget to follow. I was constantly telling my ex-husband that the house was costing us more than we could afford. Here I am a year later with no debt (other than my mortgage). I live modestly and within my means and this means that I sometime even have money in my savings account!

It is moments like these that make me question all the other things that I have been told repeatedly throughout my life. Are they all lies as well? Why are we so easily swayed into believing what others say about us? Are we as a species so eager to please others that we will find some little bit of truth in anything that is said about us and just go with it? Do we all have such low self-esteem that if others don't approve of us we cannot believe in ourselves?

Well, once again I CHOOSE to not believe any of this anymore! I KNOW I am not perfect, I will make mistakes but because I CHOOSE to learn from my mistakes this makes me a better person. I CHOOSE to believe in me! There may be days when I am the only person believing in me, but I AM the ONLY person that matters! The same goes for all my readers, I want you all to CHOOSE to believe in yourselves as well.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment