Tuesday 22 November 2011

What Is Love?

To quote the 80's pop sensation Howard Jones "What is love anyway?".

I recently changed my online dating profile to reflect what I 'thought' I wanted in a potential partner. As a result I have moved away from the "jock" types and ventured into the land of the "intellect".

This has been quite an exciting and eye-opening experience for me. As soon as I changed my "what I find most attractive" from "eyes" to intelligence I had a sudden influx of emails and coffee dates.

I have had many stimulating and thought provoking conversations. Meeting this "new to me" breed of men has made me realize that there is a fine line between 'appreciating the arts' and being 'eccentric' (eclectic v.s. wacko).


As I continue on my journey to move outside of my comfort zone and explore new things in life I have made an honest attempt to learn more about the arts, but I am not quite ready to give up Disney for Indy.

I am amazed at how many of these men don't watch tv, never mind own one. Several of them told me flat out that they could not see me again because I watched tv. While I find the conversations interesting they have quickly become mind numbing for me a la Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

Another 'deal breaker' that has come up with a few men is what love means to them. The general idea is that love is not a emotion (how you feel) or how you are treated, but rather it is an action (what the person does for you). It was explained to me in 2 different ways - the first one being - love is like a car. If you love it you will keep it clean, change the oil and wash it even when it doesn't need washing. The other explanation was that if I love someone I will make their lunch, draw their bath and ensure that all their needs were met.

What have I learned from these men? That everyone has a different idea of what love is and somewhere out there is someone who believes that love is the same thing that I believe it to be - snuggling up on the couch and watching cartoons.

If there is one thing to take away from this - it is that Love is...

Peace

1 comment: