Tuesday 17 April 2012

I Was 5!

Similar to my experience of riding a bike for the first time in 30 years, today I jumped rope! The last time I remember jumping rope was 25 years ago when I was 5! HA!


At the beginning of this year I decided to go back into martial arts. This was something I had started when my marriage was in trouble, but before my ex-husband left. I continued for a few months after he left, but found it was too difficult to focus.


Although my current life is very hectic, and I am often late for class, I find attending classes one of the most positive activities in my life right now. Each class is all about me! It's how hard I am willing to push myself and challenge myself. Even if I am having a day from hell I find myself laughing and trying my best - whatever that may be at that time.


The thing about continually trying your best is that eventually you manage to reach certain goals you have set for yourself. This happened to me the other day. For 2 years now I have been trying to place my head on the floor (between my legs). The other day I managed to do it.


The fact that I managed to accomplish this in and of itself was amazing, but even more amazing was how I felt when I did it. I was so excited and proud of myself that I wanted to tell my Sensei - but I quickly reminded myself that I was not 5 and refrained from yelling "Sensei, Sensei look at what I can do!


On many occasions it has been extremely difficult for me to attend classes - on a physical and mental level. Between work and the kids I often feel that I don't have enough time or energy to brush my teeth, never mind go to class, but I am quickly learning the POSITIVE benefits of making myself go when I really don't want to.


Why would anyone want to make themselves do something they don't want to do? In this particular case, I am learning that when I am over stressed martial arts is the BEST medicine for me! When I am practicing my kata I am so focused on what I am doing (and not falling over) that I don't have any time to "worry", "stress" or have "self-pity". When class is over and I head home I feel like I can accomplish ANYTHING!


For me martial arts has shown me that if I dare to dream it and I try real hard I can achieve it.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment