Tuesday 24 April 2012

How Soon Is Now?

Strange things are happening. Disturbing, eerie, mind shattering events. I am happy most of the time. What's up with that?!


Why is it that now that I am happier with my life I often pause and think 'wait a minute - I'm supposed to be [angry/sad/afraid/etc.]'? Add to the mix that society "deems" me to be unhappy because I am not married with 1.4 kids, a 4 bedroom house and 2 cars in the garage.


Why do "others" get to say what makes me happy? When "others" learn that I am divorced I get the "AWWW sorry to hear that" and the 'move away slowly'  look as if I have the plague. I know I am not the only person that this happens to. I have several friends that don't have children and when that is mentioned - well, we really don't need to go there.


Why is it that society is so preoccupied with "normal"? Who gets to determine "normal"? And why is "normal" less than 50% of the Canadian population? Since when was "normal" the minority?


I am happy with my life and I am not afraid to say it. Would I be happier with a man in my life? It is doubtful. Would I feel less alone and more supported emotionally with a man in my life? If it were the right man, absolutely - if it were the wrong man I think I would just feel more stress and frustration.
In short I am learning (I would like to say have learned, but you can always improve) to be happy with what I have. I refuse to spend the rest of my life 'waiting until' and I choose to live it. I can whine and complain, but I am choosing to see the positive (it's always there - sometimes I need help finding it) in everything that happens.


I believe that now that I have reached the point where I have no interest in dating I am finally ready for a relationship. But having said that it will be extremely difficult to pursue a relationship with anyone considering I have no interest in dating. Hmmm - which came first? The chicken or the egg. With the knowledge that "Mr." is not going to just appear on my doorstep one day, how does one go about meeting new people? I can see I created more questions than answers. Perhaps these are items that need to be pondered longer.


To quote The Smiths ~ "Just shut your mouth, how can you say I go about things the wrong way. I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does".


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment