Tuesday 10 April 2012

Mean Girl

Raise your hand if you have ever told a close friend that they are too fat or too ugly or deserved to be alone because no one in their right mind would ever want to be with them. I'm not seeing any hands...Okay, so has anyone ever thought this about a close friend but never vocalized it? Once again I am thinking "no".


Me personally, I have never said this OR thought this about a friend or a frenemy for that matter. So why do I continue to say things like this to myself? Why is it that I treat others far better than I treat myself?


Don Miguel Ruiz said something that rang true for me ~ "In your whole life nobody has ever abused you more than you have abused yourself. The limit of your self abuse is exactly the limit that you will tolerate from someone else. If someone abuses you a little less than you abuse yourself you will probably stay in the relationship and tolerate it endlessly."


I am repeating this paragraph because it was a HUGE eye opener for me. It was truly one of those "a-ha" light bulb moments. It is clear to me that I NEED to start talking to myself the way I would talk to a friend, or better yet the way I would speak to a stranger.


We tend to be kinder and more accepting of strangers that we do of family and friends. Perhaps since I am just 'learning' about me it would be a good idea to treat myself as an "unknown person" or a "stranger" and forgive myself for my shortcomings. Accept me for who I am and focus on all the positive aspects rather than looking for the slightest flaw and magnifying it 1000 times.


During my many exercises of removing negativity from my environment I never stopped and looked inside of myself. I can't kick myself out of my own life, but I can remove negative thoughts from my mind. Negative thoughts are unproductive, unhelpful and not useful at all.


I shall replace these thoughts and attitudes with useful, helpful and productive thoughts and actions.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment