Tuesday 8 May 2012

What's In The "Box"?

According to ancient Greek mythology Pandora did not maliciously open the jar that released all the evils of mankind. She was simply curious.


I myself can relate to Pandora. When I began my journey a little more than 2 years ago there was a door in the distance. I always wondered what was behind the door. Or more likely, "why" it was even there and what purpose it served.


As the days and months passed I progressively moved closer to the door. One day curiosity got the better of me and I opened the door to see what was behind it. To be honest it didn't look like much at the time, but now that I try to close it, like Pandora, it is too little too late.


Fortunately for me, the door only contained a passageway to self awareness and not all the evils of mankind. But the funny thing about self awareness is that once you are "aware" there is no way to become "unaware" again. There is no "Off Switch", no "Do not pass GO", and no "Do not Disturb".


Many people have commented to me that I 'think' too much. I honestly believe my 'thinking' is now a side effect of the self awareness. But as with everything in my life I am learning how to deal with this "new" self awareness. For the most part it has been amazing. I am seeing everything with new eyes. Everything I see is brighter, everything I hear is louder, everything I smell is stronger. Simply, all my senses are amplified. The good, the bad and the ugly. So I must remember to focus on the positive and not dwell on the negative.


In addition to my heightened senses I find I have a clearer understanding of things. It's almost as if I can see the "yellow brick road". Decisions are becoming easier for me to make and I am remembering far more things than I used to. The stress in my life has not decreased, but because I am changing how I will let it affect me I find myself enjoying the things I should be enjoying.


Like Pandora opening the jar, I have to accept that now that I have self awareness things will never be as they once were. Once Pandora realized what she had done by opening the jar she quickly replaced the lid. By the time the jar was closed all that remained inside was HOPE - just like me!


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment