Monday 21 January 2013

What Is and What Should Never Be

When I made the decision to live life - rather than sit on the sidelines - I knew that it was not going to be easy. It's difficult to give your all in a physical activity and never get hurt. If you really want to fully participate in the game you must commit to giving 100% or you might as well go back to the sidelines. Life is the same way, only the injuries are emotional.

The definition of grief is deep sorrow caused by a loss. I find myself grieving again. Fortunately I have learned how important this activity is for me and I am allowing myself the time to grieve, heal and forgive.

"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know" ~ Pema Chadron
I think that this quote can also pertain to people. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Many people enter our lives on a daily basis, but the ones who stay are there until we have learned what we need to know, then they move on. I also believe that I choose who gets to stay in my life, although I know that I can't keep anyone who doesn't wish to be there.

When I make a choice to allow someone to stay in my life I do not do so lightly. There is often a good reason for the decision - I still work diligently to keep negativity out of my life. The main reason I choose to let someone stay is that I have learned that happiness does not come from getting what I want; happiness comes from recognizing what I have.

What I have right now makes me happy. Do I want more? Yes. Do I need more? No! So why the grieving? Well if I have learned anything from the breakdown of my marriage it is to take the time to accept the fact that things are not as I had hoped. To grieve the loss, to heal my ego and to forgive myself and move on. In the end I will only be a better person.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" ~ Dr. Seuss

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment