Monday 20 May 2013

Faint

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice." ~ Geddy Lee

The power of decision is the power of making the choice for yourself instead of allowing the choice to happen to you. I find that I am often afraid to make a decision because I fear that I will make the WRONG decision. I am learning that it is not always about making the RIGHT decision, it is about making the decision RIGHT, especially when people are involved.

I have found something that I deal with far worse than ambiguity - it is avoidance - the act of keeping away from or preventing from happening. Am I guilty of this? Yes. I have avoided people/ situations in hopes that they "go away" and then I don't need to be the 'bad guy', but I have learned the error of my ways. It's not easy to make a difficult decision. What happens if I make a mistake? What happens if I chose to do the wrong thing? What happens if I chose to do the right thing? What happens if I regret my decision?

I am learning to look at my core values when making a difficult decision. Which choice is the best for me? Sometimes this decision is not easy but I usually know the answer deep down inside. When I am in doubt I 'call a friend' - well usually send an email - to get their thoughts on the subject. And then depending on the decision that needs to be made I will give myself a timeline - with people, the sooner the better.
I know that I won't always make the right choices - but at least I will have had the power and the opportunity to CHOOSE what I believed was right for me at that time. And when I make the wrong choices I have a great support system to help me out!

Now I just need to figure out what to do when I am the object of avoidance. This type of behaviour has quickly become number 1 on my disrespect scale! I can tolerate a lot of things (although that list is quickly shrinking) but this is not one of them. So perhaps my choice is simple - walk away. 

"I can't feel the way I did before. Don't turn your back on me - I won't be ignored." ~ Linkin Park

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment