Monday 6 May 2013

Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow

Forrest Gump said that life is like a box of chocolates. Right now my life resembles an amusement park more than a box of chocolates. Everywhere I turn I see adventure, fun and entertainment. With so many things to do at the amusement park yet I strangely find myself drawn to the rides...I don't really like rides.
Now before you can get to the rides at any amusement park you first must pass through the "game alley". I guess some people actually enjoy playing games otherwise this section would not exist, but I am not one of these people. I have always found these games to be a waste of time and money. Even if you are "lucky" enough to win something, the prize is usually small and cheap. So seeing as I can't get to the rides without going through the game alley I just stand tall and ignore all the 'hey sweetie' requests to come and play.

As I move into the "Rides" section of the park the first set of rides are the "classic" rides -
the carousel, Tilt-a-Whirl, swings. These rides do not come with "WARNING" signs. They tend to be the same thing over and over, moving either in circles or up and down. These rides are predictable and reliable - what you see is what you get. There is little to no risk when riding them. They stand the test of time. 

The next area does not contain rides per se but rather "attractions" - the fun house, haunted house. These attractions are filled with deception. The intent is to lure you in under false pretense, to get your guard down and then take advantage of you. They appear to be one thing and then when the truth is revealed they are quite another. I have either left laughing or screaming from both of these types of attractions and hope to avoid them at all costs. Remember I don't deal well with ambiguity.

At the back of the park are the "thrill" rides - roller coasters, bungee jumping. Each and every one of these rides comes with an extensive list of risks and warnings - may cause nausea, injury, do not ride if you have a heart condition. These rides go fast, upside down, sideways and backwards. Inevitably someone always gets hurt.

I can choose to go on any ride I want - but here is the thing - I can't go on the carousel and expect it to do 'flips'. Nor can I go on the roller coaster and expect it to 'slow down'. I know that the ride will NEVER change - so I need to pick the ride I go on wisely. Once I take a seat and that ride begins I will need to keep my arms and legs in at all times until the ride comes to a complete STOP.

I just hope I have enough tickets to get on the ride of my choice!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment