Monday 19 August 2013

Race Against Myself

"I realize for my pain I have none, after all is said and done. Now I'm back where I started, I've gone as far as I can, I've taken all that I can stand. But I am running a race against myself, against myself." ~ The Offspring

Have you ever noticed that the trip THERE, where ever "there" is, always takes longer than the trip home? We all know that the distance to and from somewhere is usually the same so why does going somewhere always seem to take longer? It's the anticipation. Whether you are excited or dreading your destination the anticipation of the journey makes it seem to take SO LONG!

I have been referring to my life as a journey. I have been travelling for quite some time now and still have not reached my destination. I have become tired and frustrated. This journey is far too long for my liking. I have learned to not compare myself to others on a similar journey. I have also learned that just because I am not on the same path as everyone else it does not mean that I am lost.

What I did not realize is that there is no destination. I will never reach the end. Every day I am where I need to be and every day I am exposed to lessons I need to learn. If I don't "get it" I will continue walking the same path until I figure things out.

As happy as I am with everything and as miserable and frustrating as things can be some of the time I have learned that I need to enjoy every moment. Life is the trip THERE, which is why my journey seemed like it was taking FOREVER, because it is. There is no THERE, there is only NOW.

You know I have read several "new age" books. I have heard many people tell me that I need to learn to live in the now. I would grumble "I am trying!" But now I get it. I understand -- if only for a brief moment -- what this statement means. Make the best of every minute because you will never be here in this exact moment ever again.

If I practice what I preach and choose internal happiness over instant gratification I know I will have the ability to learn to live in the now.

Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment