Sunday 12 June 2016

Castle of Glass

"Cause I'm only a crack in this castle of glass. Hardly anything there for you to see." ~ Linkin Park

It is said that it is the simple things in life that bring happiness. One of the simplest things that brings happiness to my life is being outside. I love nature, even if it is only in my own backyard.

Listening to the life around me - birds, bees, squirrels. Feeling the weather - sun, rain, wind, snow. Silently appreciating the miracle of it all makes me feel peaceful and happy. I don't need to be doing anything to enjoy. It can be as simple as sitting or walking. In fact I find if I am 'doing' I am often too occupied with the task at hand to enjoy the nature around me.

Having a love of the out doors, gardening has often been suggested to me as a past time. I have tried gardening on many occasions and failed miserably every time. When I purchased my home it had a small garden with hostas and rose bushes.

Not being a gardener I was concerned for the life expectancy of the rose bushes. My father assured me that roses could not be killed. I saw this as a challenge...Over the next 2 years I did everything I could to kill those roses, aside from digging them up. Every spring they grew back and late summer the red buds all opened.



Realizing these bushes were far hardier than I had suspected I decided to test the hardiness of the plant itself. I decided to plant more rose bushes - little tea roses from the grocery store. These too grew like weeds; however, they did not grow any buds and have not flowered.

Two years later, my grocery store tea roses have buds! Add to this there are 2 brand new bushes growing over in the rock garden - somewhere they have never been planted.

Perhaps this is why I love nature so much. It is a visual reminder that despite negativity, toxic environments and obstacles one can still find success or happiness. Sometimes you need to a change in order to find that happiness. The way I see it sometimes all it takes is a small change - behavioural, mannerisms, expectations, tone of voice - to make the world of difference. This is a small price to pay for peace and happiness.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment