Tuesday 24 January 2012

...Failure is All You've Known

My fear of success is an ongoing project for me. This is not something that I can change overnight. Somewhere along the line, maybe since I was a child, I developed this fear. Just because I have now become aware of my fear does not mean that it will just disappear.

Having said this - knowing you have problem is really half the battle. The first step is to identify the issue. Once it has been identified you now have a choice - to accept it or to analyze and work on it. If you chose to accept it, you must be prepared to deal with the risk associated with it. I believe the risk is too high and I am choosing to work on it.

Anxiety is the fear of the unknown. A common practice for those who suffer from anxiety is to make the unknown known. This can be done in many ways but I choose research. If you are nervous about going somewhere you have never been, most of us will Google our route, removing the 'unknown' element from the equation.

So I ponder "what" I can do to decrease my anxiety regarding success. I now see I have a problem. I have many personal projects that have never been completed. Simple things like hanging pictures to more complicated things. I get within a few inches of the finish line but for some reason I can never cross it.

Once again I go back to my resolution to "try". I try a lot of different things, but I never complete them. So perhaps my resolution needs to be to "complete" -  without sabotage.

In order to prevent self defeat, I am setting small attainable goals. When I achieve these goals I am going to allow myself to be proud of myself for meeting these goals rather than to 'brush it off'. Will I still be able to sabotage my efforts? Absolutely! But I resolve to "TRY" and aim for success.

Once I start to feel comfortable with my small successes - perhaps I will start a list - I will start working on 'larger' projects. I have no idea if this will help me on my way, but if I don't try I will never know. Besides, what's the worse that could happen? I could succeed!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment