Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Happiness Project

I joined a group call The Happiness Project. The goal of this group is to implement small changes in our lives to make each of us happier. The concept, I later discovered, is based on a book of the same name by Gretchen Rubin.

So, you know me, my next step was to reserve the book from the library. Being 43rd on the waiting list, I figured our first group meeting would happen before I got the book, but I was wrong.

As soon as I picked up the book I started reading it skeptically. As you know, I don't always fair well with self help/inspirational books. I was surprised to learn that I had already implemented many of the concepts from the book in my daily life. Interesting!
In addition to the book I have participated in a couple of workshops this past week. Once again I was surprised to learn that I was happier than I thought I was! I also learned that many of my "coping skills" are actually true techniques to building self-esteem and a line of happiness.

Although I learned many things I did not know, it was really nice to see that I have traveled so much further than I believed I had. I am much stronger than I imagined I could ever be. And I am happier with my entire life than I would have guessed I was.

Do I still have work to do? Absolutely! Will it be easy? Of course not! I need to start setting goals in my life and start working to achieve these goals.

I'm going to keep my goals simple and continue to CHANGE my behaviour to reach my goals. This time I won't be afraid to be successful. Once I achieve my first goal, I will continue to the next one and each time I will reach a little further!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment