Tuesday 7 February 2012

Life is But A Dream

So what have I learned over the past few weeks? Well, that life doesn't happen. Shit happens, but not life.


If you don't plan and make goals you are not living life, you are sitting on the side lines. If you spend all your time waiting for the day "when" or like me "remembering when" you are doing yourself a huge disservice.


Life is now! Life is what you make it. You are in control of your life. Sure there are many things that you have no control over, but there are also many thing that you can take charge of. You are the captain of your ship.


I have never "consciously" set goals my entire life. I got an education, got married, bought a house, then had kids because I was "supposed to". I never really put much thought into it. I just did it because it was what I thought was expected of me.


Now here I sit with the knowledge and the desire to LIVE life. Without realizing it I have in fact not only set a couple of goals, but I have achieved them! I have crossed that finish line and been successful. I may not have won the gold medal, but I finished the race and that is all that matters.


How am I going to keep the momentum? For me, I plan to work my goals like a project. I will  take the 'big picture' goal and break it into smaller work packages. Then I will work each task in the work package until they are complete. Once all the work packages are done the project will be complete - I mean my goal will have been achieved!


I have learned that you can't boil the ocean. I need to break my dreams down into smaller, attainable, measurable goals. Or as some say - "baby steps". I still have not decided what I will focus on, but I am very excited because all of this means I get to make a LIST!!!


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment