Monday 8 April 2013

It Doesn't Really Matter

Chris - December 1984
My very first blog post referenced that I used to be a Platinum Blonde groupie. Well it would seem that as I have said many times - everything happens for a reason. Some 30 years after the FIRST time I saw Platinum Blonde in concert they returned to the same location.

How could I not go? And to be fortunate enough to return to the same venue with the same wonderful ladies - what are the odds? I must admit that despite the whole nostalgia thing I did have my reservations. It's been almost 30 years and over those years my musical tastes have changed drastically! I wasn't even able to 'revisit' their songs as I only have the albums on vinyl.
Serge - December 1984

Apart from my concern over the music there was the band members themselves. I pulled out my scrapbook of pictures from 1984 and thought to myself "Good gravy! What was I thinking back then??!!" I could only imagine how they might look now - ugh! Add to the equation the whole 'silliness' factor. It's not like Platinum Blonde were big like The Who or The Stones. They had a select following of very dedicated fans, I will admit to being one. What would the audience be like? With my recent "rejection" exercises I was a bit tired of being called various names...

The venue was very intimate and when the band came on stage it was clear that they had not changed one single bit! Serge had blond spiked hair, either well preserved from all the chemicals in the '80s or a wig. Mark looked far more feminine than I could ever hope to pull off. Absent from the venue was my personal fave - Chris, but as luck would have it apparently I have a thing for drummers and not Chris per se - as Daniel quickly became my 'new' fave!


Mark - February 2013
The first half of the concert I must admit I was not much of a good sport. I patiently sat and listened to their new songs. I complained when I 'needed' to stand for their hits. The band then took a short intermission for costume changes - and I am sure to catch their breath - and after that it all changed for me!

Cinderella Story (my FAVOURITE PB song) was playing as the band returned to the stage following their intermission and suddenly the Situation was Critical! There was a very heartfelt dedication to Kenny MacLean in which Mark stated that he knew how to live life - you enjoy it until you draw your last breath. It was at this moment that I got it!

The whole evening was not about trying to 'recapture' a moment in time - it was about doing something that I love with people that I love and believing in something. It was about having the courage to NOT CARE what anyone thinks of me and just being happy being me!

I used to be like this - but over the years a part of me got locked away in a closet. It doesn't really matter to me how this happened but what does matter is that this part of me is now BREAKING DOWN THE DOOR!
Mark & Serge - February 2013
Just like that - Chrystine was back - jumping up and down, singing so loudly, yelling and screaming LIVING in the MOMENT, enjoying it and not caring what anyone thought of me! This wasn't the best musical performance I have seen, but it was by far the BEST concert I have been to in a LONG time.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment