Monday 2 September 2013

Gilligan's Island

My recent opportunity to retreat from my stresses of life came with a warning - "There is no cell reception!". Although I heard the warning I quickly dismissed it. No cell reception, poppy cock! No one calls me anyway! You guessed it - I was in for a rude awakening.

I never realized how much I rely on my phone to keep in touch with the people in my life. For the entire week I was not able to text anyone and had to "GASP" converse via email (UGH)! What did we ever do before texting!!??

Does anyone remember a thing called a "land line"? I know I used to talk on the phone for HOURS with friends. My dad would get so angry with me - "You just spent an entire day at school with them! What on earth could you possibly have to say for the last 4 hours????" That's easy. I'm sure the conversations went a little like this "Like oh my god he is so cute!" "I know eh? Did he kiss you?" "YES!" - squeal, scream, giggle, etc.


I have often complained about how I don't like conversing through texts and emails as it is far too easy for the meaning and the messages to be misinterpreted - yet here I am realizing how much I actually utilize and find comfort in this means of communication.

Of course the comfort is a false security. Perhaps this is why texting is today's preferred method of communication. Texting provides the convenience of instantly connecting with someone; albeit superficially, but there is still a 'feeling' of connecting with someone. There is an expectation that text messages will be read and replied to within minutes, nay seconds, whereas emails are not answered for days. Never mind a phone call - no one EVER answers their phone any more.  You have to send a text or an email telling the person that you are going to call just so they answer their phone!

While I see the value in texting I also see its dangers. Perhaps I am just "old school". I like hearing someone's voice, I prefer laughter over LOLs and sobbing over frowny faces. I am realizing that I a FAR MORE SOCIAL than I have ever given myself credit for.

Ultimately, in my opinion, the best way to keep in touch with the people in your life that you care about is to STOP being so busy and "GASP" leave the house and "like oh my god!" VISIT them! I sometimes feel like society as a whole has started to act like we are all stranded on a deserted island with every single luxury EXCEPT human interaction.

Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment