Monday 29 July 2013

Dirt Off Your Shoulder

Similar to my thoughts on change - life can be viewed the same way. We are not given a "good" life or a "bad" life - we are given life. The life we CHOOSE to live is up to each and every one of us. Every day we have the ability to choose what we do/ don't do, say/ don't say, feel/ don't feel and how we treat others. It is these CHOICES, our BEHAVIOURS that determine the "type" of life we live. It's that simple!

I am CHOOSING to live a good life. I choose to treat others with respect, even if it is not returned. I choose to be thankful for all that I have in my life. I choose to enjoy the simple things and see the positives wherever I can. Sure I often "wish" for more than I have; however, I am 100% happier with my life today than I was 5 years ago!

Am I happier because of who has come and gone from my life? Am I happier because I have more things in my life? Am I happier because I do more in my life? No, no and no! I was not able to understand "why" I was happier until I understood "why" I was so unhappy. Over the years I have learned so much about myself and during that process I discovered my "core values" - my true nature. When my core values are not being met I am unhappy internally - in my core or soul.

When I started to observe my behaviours I realized my "actions" were compromising my core values. I am often far more disrespectful to MYSELF than anyone else is! Yes, I knew this before but I never understood how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together and now it is beginning to make more sense.

Now I am CHOOSING internal happiness over instant gratification. I would rather be alone the rest of my life than to compromise my core values. I refuse to let anyone take away my internal happiness - ever.

This does not mean that I won't ever be emotional, sad, down, angry or frustrated. What this means is that I am PROUD of how hard I am working to change my behaviours in order to stand up for myself and to live my life in accordance with my core values and not against them.

Every day I am learning and growing as a person. Sure I make mistakes but I try to learn from these mistakes so I don't repeat them. Yes, I often return to my "old" behaviours, but there too I am learning. I believe that everyone has a CHOICE in life. You can choose what you do in any situation. If you feel your behaviours are not "matching" who you really are "inside" only YOU have the ability to change those behaviours. No one else can get the dirt off your shoulder!

Some times you need to walk away from people, not to make them realize how worthy you are, but rather so you can understand and acknowledge your own self worth. 

"I wanna be pushed aside so let me go. Let me take back my life I'd rather be all alone" ~ Linkin Park

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment