Wednesday 17 August 2011

Dude, You're Fugly

Online dating is not for the faint of heart. It takes a thick skin and the ability to take nothing personal. In addition to this you need to learn to expect the same thing over and over again.

Rather than being rejected face to face by one man you are rejected by hundreds of men on a daily basis just by the nature of online sites. Now that I am testing the waters of online dating again the first thing I notice is that all the men are the same ones from a year ago. The same profile, the same pictures, the same.

It makes me question the whole concept of online dating. I know that it has worked for many people, but the more people I meet the more problems I hear about it. It seems that everyone has the same complaints - either the people they are attracting are not what they are looking for, or the people never want to meet.

You need to remain vigilant and alert. It takes a great deal of energy to read between the lines and weed out the crap that is out there. The other day I fell for the oldest scam out there. On several sites there is no cost to view, but in order to communicate with others you need to sign up. I had received a couple of emails from this "fellow" in St. George. I was not a member of the site - but eventually I caved and signed up for the low low price of $12.95 per month - and low and behold it was a scammer!
These guys are easy to spot. Their emails are way too long - no man on the planet is THAT wordy! There are TONS of spelling mistakes and they always call you stupid disrespectful nick names like 'hun' 'sweetie' or 'lover' - SERIOUSLY! If you are chatting with one of these scammer the always ask you 'where' you live - DUH! It's on my freaking profile - learn to read!

Perhaps the hardest part of online dating is not becoming a cynic. Every once in a while you start chatting with someone and it's hard to 'believe' that they are real. You Google their phone number, fact check with friends, sometimes I wish I knew someone who could run a police check...am I just being cautious, or have I become so jaded that I have a hard time believing what anyone tells me?

Then you reach a point where you are pretty sure that they are 'real' and you agree to meet for coffee (not Coffee). How long to you wait before contacting him again? Will we ever meet for coffee? Oh, but that's another story...

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment