Wednesday 3 August 2011

Track and Field Day

How do you spell mood swing? M-E! Today I had a great day! I woke up happy and spent the entire day happy.

Do you ever stop and count your blessings? Do you see something on the news or read something in the paper that reminds you of just how lucky you are for all you have in your life? Why is it that we don't appreciate what we have until we see others who are worse off than we are?

Here's my theory. When we hear bad news from others we do a mental list of our own lives. When we create this list we are making our happiness into something that is defined. I think that many people, myself included, are always searching for happiness because it has not been defined. What is happiness to you? Do you have a clearly defined list of attainable goals that will make you happy? If not, how do you measure happiness. If you don't know what it is that will make you happy how will you ever know that you are happy?
I will use the track and field as an example. Runners are timed, the height of jumps recorded and the distance of throws measured. Each participant in the track and field event knows what time or distance they have to beat. They know the goal they have to attain. They either exceed the goal or they don't. It's simple. So...I made of list of things that I consider to be "happiness". I have everything on this list with the exception of a responsible, honest and loving partner. But I have never had a responsible, honest and loving partner. Does this mean that I have never been happy? Or does it simply mean that I have not achieved all the happiness I could have?

I think it's the later - I have not achieved all the happiness I could have. So what am I going to do about it? I am going to try to participate in track and field and try to beat the best time/distance. I am going to face my fears of being hurt again and start dating.

The greatest hazard in life is to wish and to risk nothing. I may avoid suffering and sorrow, but I will not learn, feel, love or truly live if I do not take the first step.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment