Thursday 18 August 2011

You're Grounded!

Dating with kids who are old enough to understand what dating is all about makes for some interesting conversations. It's hard enough to manage my own expectations when it comes to dating, never mind those of my kids.

The one thing that I have quickly noticed is that the roles have become reversed. I am asking the kids for permission to go out for coffee. They agree, but put a 9 o'clock curfew in place. So off I go with my new found freedom to meet a guy for coffee. I think to myself "9:00 no problem, I'll probably be home by 7". None of my dates have ever lead to a second date, so I wasn't holding out too much hope.

Long story short - I missed my curfew. As I was climbing in through my bedroom window at 10:00 I could hear the kids yelling at me - man were the kids PISSED! Well, not really, but they were not very pleased with my behaviour. After a talk about the situation and some grovelling on my part we kissed and made up.
The next day, I had a pleasant surprise. I got asked out on a second date! That night nonetheless. The same gentleman wanted to see me 2 nights in a row. Unfortunately I had to decline. My children come first. But I still wanted to talk to this gentleman again, so I picked up the phone and gave him a call - I made sure 'the kid' was in the shower before starting the conversation, but we did manage to talk for a bit.

As I write this post with a silly teenage grin on my face I wonder how good I will be at walking a tight rope. The tight rope I am referring to is the fine line between putting 'me' first and 'never putting any man before my children'. I am fully aware that I need to have "my time" and "their time" and it has to be a give and take.

Just as I thought I had it all under control yet another bend in the path. But just like all the other paths I have travelled throughout my journey I will take it one step at a time.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment