Tuesday 16 August 2011

I'm Off to See the Wizard

There are times, like 2:37 a.m. that I wish, like the straw man I had no brain. Why do some individuals, myself being one of them, have the need to analyze everything? Why is there no "off" switch in our brains?

Raise your hand if this has happened to you before. You are exhausted so instead of going to bed early, like you should, you stay up even later because you have 'just a few more things to do'. Then at some ungodly hour you bolt upright in bed with a mental list of a dozen other things to do. You lie back down and try to sleep, but it is hopeless.

I used to toss and turn for hours, only to fall back asleep around 6:00 and an hour later my alarm would go off. How do you spell annoying? Recently I have started getting up instead. I heard somewhere that if you wake in the middle of the night you should get out of bed and go and read in a quite place. I have had some success with the 'reading' thing, but I find it hard to leave my bed.

The things that wake me in the middle of the night are usually the most ridiculous things - like I forgot to bake a banana loaf for the CEO of Disney who is coming by next Thursday - seriously? What has me up this lovely evening? My writing.

I was in a deep, peaceful, restful sleep and words just started coming into my head. I slowly awoke to realize I had to pee really badly! After I got up, I could not fall back asleep, so I grabbed my $4.26 notepad and started writing. I finished off the post I had started on Sunday and kept on writing.

So here I am now at 3:14 a.m. finishing up my next post. I may not even 'proof read' this one - it might make for a more interesting read. I wonder if I 'make sense' at 3 o'clock in the morning or if the things I pen are just gibberish?

I guess the point of this entire post is that I am who I am and I can't change my basic needs. I have a need to write and no matter how many times I say 'that's it, I've had it, no more' something inside me drives me to continue. I just wish it wasn't telling me this at 3 a.m., but perhaps if I was listening to myself instead of ignoring my needs I would be sleeping soundly.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment