Tuesday 9 August 2011

The Farmer In the Dell

The other day a 'friend' approached me and asked me if I was enjoying all the 'male bashing' I was doing on my blogs. Before I could even formulate a response this person was gone and I have not had any contact with them since this episode.

More puzzling than the comment was my reaction to the comment. My first response was guilt. I immediately felt guilty about everything I had posted. Was I 'male bashing'? Was I too negative? Was I offending people? Should I stop writing?

My second response was confusion. As I reviewed my posts I did not see any obvious 'male bashing'. I did not see tons of negativity and I definitely did not see any direct or indirect finger pointing at 'specific' people with the exception of my immediate family.

Then came the anger. Surprisingly the anger was not at my 'friend' but it was at myself. WHY did I even consider stopping something that I enjoy so much just because 1 person said something negative? WHY did I question something I know I am good at and take pride in doing? WHY was I blaming myself for something someone else was feeling? Boy this whole thing is starting to sound all too familiar to me!

For whatever reason this 'friend' took offense to something I posted. Perhaps something I said hit too close to home for this person or perhaps they are afraid to deal with their own emotions - who knows - and it is really none of my concern. In my recent training my instructor used a quote to explain how slowly corporations adapt to change ~ "You can't teach a pig to sing. It only frustrates you and it pisses off the pig".

I interpret this to mean - you can't change others, you can only change yourself. So I continue to do what I enjoy and am good at - writing these blogs. This 'friend' may continue to be angry with me for my posts but they may also learn to accept me for who I am.

As I continue to change I believe that those around me will begin to notice a change in me and my happiness. Some may even ask "how" I have become so happy. It is at this time that I will be more than willing to share - and perhaps, just maybe  - I will be able to teach a pig how to sing.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment