Tuesday 26 July 2011

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

I have returned to a familiar story line...the mind playing tricks on you and making things worse than they really are. The other night there was a huge thunderstorm. Normally I LOVE thunderstorms, but we were in the trees...by a lake...

As I ran through the cottage closing all the windows I tried to remember if lightening not passing through glass was fact or fiction. With a strong belief that it was fact I opened the curtains to watch the "show". Everything was lighting up! It was like daytime, only 2:30 in the morning. After about 2 minutes I quickly closed all the curtains and hastily returned to bed. Why, because my mind had become evil. In my mind I had envisioned a man  with a hook standing outside the window and I was afraid to watch the next lightening flash.

Seriously? I have NEVER been a horror movie buff for this very reason, and here I was "imagining" the Hookman outside my cottage in the middle of no-where-ville.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that everyone fears different things at different times in their lives. If I asked my family and friends I am certain the majority would say that they fear death or the death of a loved one. My biggest fear right now is running into my ex-husband and the new "Mrs".

Since I am certain that this "fear" will one day become a reality I have tried to prepare myself mentally and emotionally. In my mind I go over "how" I will react, "what" she will look like, and "how" I will come away without looking like an idiot. I guess I am trying to make the "unknown" a "known".

I am quickly learning that this is an exercise in futility. No matter "how" much I prepare I am going to feel horrible, sad, angry and sick to my stomach all rolled into one. So, why am I unnecessarily getting myself upset? Why not deal with it when it happens?

This is a great question! I am not sure that I will ever be prepared for the day that I meet the new "Mrs" but I do know that when I am faced with the situation that the best thing I can do will be to say "I wish you both the best" and walk away.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment