Saturday 16 July 2011

I Can’t See the Difference – Can You See the Difference?


Originally posted July 11, 2011 on Facebook.

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I was on my way to the lab for some blood work. An elderly gentleman smiled and said ‘hi’ to me. I replied. I thought I had attracted his attention because I was in one of my ‘I’m too sexy for myself’ moods. The lab tech happily chatted with me while drawing my blood and to my surprise when I left the lab I had a lady say ‘hi’ to me. Interesting...3 more people smiled, said ‘hi’ and 1 even waved to me on my way to my car. I started to wonder if I had a “Kick me” sign on my back.

Over the next week I have noticed that this day in the lab was not a fluke. Everyday people have been friendlier. Why? Is it something in the water? The warm weather? Nope – I think it’s me. Well, I am great after all.

Ok, seriously. I have changed. I walk with my head held high. I look others in the eye. I smile as I am walking, even if I am not passing someone and I sometimes laugh at myself. I have changed. I say “hello”, “good morning” and I take the time to see “how you are doing”.

I believe that it is this change in my posture and attitude that has brought about a change in how others treat me. We all know that you should always treat others as you wish to be treated, but I thought it only applied to being polite, or saying nice things, you know the big stuff. What I didn’t realize is that it applies to EVERYTHING you do every moment of the day. Now – that is a tall order, as not everyone can be happy and bubbly all the time, but if you take the time to make your outward appearance pleasant and inviting – you will be pleasantly surprised by how others treat you.

It has nothing to do with the packaging – it’s what’s inside that counts!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment