Saturday 16 July 2011

Look Ma No Hands!


Originally posted July 7, 2011 on Facebook.

Have you ever noticed that once you have kids you begin to be proud of the things your children have accomplished rather than the things you, yourself have accomplished? “Jimmy just won 1st place in track and field” “Suzie was valedictorian for her class”.

Yesterday I rode a bike for the first time in over 25 years. Some people might think “this is no accomplishment”, others may think “how embarrassing” but I was extremely proud of myself. I was terrified to do it, thinking I may fall but you know what – I didn’t fall and all was good. After I started talking about my accomplishment and how proud I was other people at work started talking about things that they were proud to have done. One fellow played soccer for the first time in over 20 years and others were proud to have resolved an issue or completed their project before the deadline.

What I am trying to say is that it doesn’t matter how big or small the feat is that you have accomplished you are entitled to be proud of a job well done. We are raised to believe that being proud of yourself will make you conceited. I don’t think that bragging and being proud of something are the same think. I also think that instead of having “bitch fests” we should have “proud fests” where everyone sits around and says something that they are proud they have done!

What have you done recently that you were proud of? Shout it out loud! You are worthy of the praise.

Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment