Wednesday 27 July 2011

Where Have All the Single Women Gone?

Ok, time to complain. Similar to my dating issues, how does one go about finding new friends? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with my current friends, it's just that it is often difficult to "pre-schedule" a coffee date 3 weeks from Thursday because I am going to feel down.

Back to meeting new people. I have joined a few groups, but they all seem to have cliques and I sort of feel like a third wheel. The other issue is that most of the meet ups are during the week which means I would need to leave the kids. Something I don't want to do.

The other day I got an email from the Meet up group informing me that there are 146 people in my area looking for a Single Parent group like myself, so why not start my own group up. Instead of deleting this email I decided to keep it.

What! Exactly, what am I thinking? First I am out writing blogs, and now I am thinking about running meet up groups? Who am I and what have I become?

In my quest for a happy and fulfilling life I believe that it is essential to have friends along the way. It is friends that turn the potholes into speed bumps. It is friends that make the tears turn into laughter. To clarify, when I refer to 'friends' I am not only talking about those life long  ones you have known since you were a newborn. I am referring to acquaintances, co-workers, the man who rides beside you on the bus everyday.

To me a friend is anyone who has made a positive impact in my life - no matter how small. Perhaps I use the term "friend" too loosely, but it works for me. In this day and age when it is often so hard to see the positive in anything every little bit helps and you can never have too many friends.

I will never lose touch with my childhood friends, but I will always leave my door open for new ones.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment