Wednesday 20 July 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

When my ex-husband first moved out of the house I wrote him a “goodbye” letter saying goodbye to all of my hopes and dreams I had for us. Writing this letter was something I needed to do at the time to help me cope. To be honest it wasn’t exactly a positive letter.

I think that I am now in a place to write him a positive letter – kind of a “thank you” letter. Like it or not this event has brought many positive changes to my life. So if I were to write a “thank you” letter it might go something like this.
~ Thank you for teaching me to stand up for myself. While I am still in the process of growing a backbone I no longer let others walk all over me.
~ Thank you for continuously reminding me that there is no one or nothing on this earth that is more important than my children. You have taught me to never put any man before my kids.
~ Thank you for giving me this unique opportunity to find myself. Reconnecting with the activities I truly enjoy makes me ecstatic.
~ Thank you for showing me that others can’t make you happy – happiness only comes from within.
~ In closing I would like to tell you that you were right. On the day you left me your last words to me were “You deserve someone better” and you were right – I do.
I started to change about 4 years before my marriage actually fell apart. For the longest time I have been blaming myself for the breakdown of my marriage. If I hadn’t tried to change I would still be married, he would still be with me and I wouldn’t be alone. But the truth is I had to change to keep living – I was dying inside. To quote Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes – “Someone put a mirror up to my face and you know what. I didn’t like what I saw. So you know what I did? I changed!”

In closing, last and most important a big THANK YOU goes to me for having the courage and the strength to change. Some days I am not happy with the end results, but EVERY day I am PROUD of the ME I am becoming.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment