Saturday 16 July 2011

Music Soothes Even the Savage Beast




Originally posted July 9, 2011 on Facebook.

My taste in music often reflects my mood. Right now one of my favourite tunes is Crabbuckit by K-OS. The first time I heard this song it was the bass that caught my attention. After listening to it a few more times it was the words. “No time to get down because I’m movin’ up. Check out the crab in the bucket.”

I have to admit that I did not know what “crab in a bucket” meant. So I looked it up. Apparently when crabs are placed in a bucket and one tries to climb out of the bucket the other crabs will try to pull the ‘escaping crab’ back down into the bucket.

This made me think about how like it or not each of us takes on the emotions of those around us. If you are constantly surrounded by negative people – you yourself will become a negative person. As you try to remove yourself from the negativity someone or something keeps dragging you back in.

It’s funny that some people don’t like it when you are happy and doing healthy, positive things for yourself. They try to convince you that you are not as happy as you seem. They try to remind you of all the pain and hurt that you have experienced, or they try to tempt you from your path and undermine your purpose and direction. Why is it that misery loves company? I don’t know.

What I do know is that like K-OS says I have no time to get down because I am moving up.  There are those who are trying to pull me back down into the bucket – but I won’t let them this time. Things are different now because I have changed and I am worthy of all the best that life has to offer. Will I leave these people struggling in the bucket? No. But I will not let them drag me down either. I am on a journey into the unknown. A journey that only I can take and perhaps not everyone will support me in my journey, but for those people that are not willing to support me  I have to wonder – are these people just crabs in the bucket?

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment